Integrating Climate Change Risks and Opportunities into National Development Processes and United Nations Country Programming - Colombia
Leading Organization:United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Implementing Agency and Partnering Organizations:UNDP, UNOPS
Colombia is a country that is especially vulnerable to climate change given that its population has settled in areas prone to flooding and in unstable lands of the high sierras. In addition, the country presents a high recurrence and magnitude of disasters associated to climate conditions. Colombia has been developing important capacities to face the challenges of climate change both within the framework of its National Communications and in the support for actions that foster adaptation and mitigation to climate change. The country is implementing concrete adaptation measures in priority regions and in essential sectors. Current UN development assistance frameworks have yet to incorporate climate change risks even though their impact could considerably affect the attainment of the MDGs and the sustainability of present and future UN development activities. In addition, there are wasted opportunities in certain programmes and projects, which could contribute to the adaptation of the country to climate change.
With funds from the Spanish Government, UNDP is implementing this project in five countries, including Colombia. The purpose of the project is to develop capacities of UN staff and Government stakeholders to integrate risks and opportunities of climate change in national programming and development policies. The project team implemented activities between January 2009 and January 2010.
As in the other countries taking part in this project, the draft UNDP methodology 'Quality Standards for Integrating Climate Change Adaptation' were used to undertake the risk screening analysis (identification of climate risks, adaptation opportunities, risks of maladaptation, and potential adaptation measures to manage the risks). Deliverables and more information are available on the UNDP country page (http://www.pnud.org.co/cambioclimatico), the related ALM Case Study Page, and at the bottom of this page.
Nicaragua, El Salvador, Cape Verde and Malawi are also part of this pilot (see their project page on this ALM website).
- Knowledge base and capacity of UNDP COs and/or UNCTs for managing climate change risks enhanced.
- Knowledge base to support the integration of climate change risks into national development policies strengthened.
- 1.1 Risk-screening of UN programming documents/projects, and adjustment of programming procedures in the pilot countries.
- 1.2 Capacity development of UNDP COs, UNCTs and other relevant stakeholders in the pilot countries.
- 1.3 Synthesis and dissemination of lessons learned through the ALM.
- 2.1 Risk screening of climate change risks into government development policies in pilot countries.
- 2.2 Synthesis and dissemination of lessons learned through the ALM.
Primary Beneficiaries:UNCT/UNDP CO and National Government Stakeholders