Climate Adaptation Training - 2012 Adaptation Academy Foundation Course
Immerse yourself in the Adaptation Academy. Emerge transformed. Be prepared to find adaptation solutions for some of the most profound challenges ever to face the world. Join a world-renowned alumni and the leading global network on climate adaptation.
The Foundation Course is a three-week intensive programme developing the skills and knowledge to be a global change maker. From the halls of an Oxford college, explore your role, make new and binding friendships with future leaders, raise the bar on your own thinking and potential by rubbing shoulders with an internationally renowned academic community, learn first-hand from expert practitioners and be inspired by leading intellectuals pioneering revolutionary interventions.
Dear Project Colleagues,
Interested in working with senior experts on existing projects who understand the key challenges and constraints? Want to enhance your knowledge of climate adaptation and develop relevant, practical skills in your field? Ready to be a change maker?
The Global Climate Adaptation Partnership (GCAP) in partnership with the University of Cape Town, the SysTem for Analysis, Research and Training (START), the University of Reading, the UK Met Office and Grupo Laera invite you to enrol in this year's Adaptation Academy Foundation Course from the 13 to 31 August in Oxford, United Kingdom.
We have several decades of experience working on similar projects and can draw upon our vast experience in the field to develop a tailored training programme that focuses on your exact needs and requirements. We engage with participants to create a learning environment where they work with fellow colleagues and international experts to shape their thinking and develop real-world solutions to existing projects and programmes.
The Foundation Course integrates four central learning themes throughout the course:
- Causal chains of climate science
- Adaptation as a process
- Project/Programme development
- Participants' role as change makers
Building on these four central themes, we have developed a range of different modules and exercises with which to develop the appropriate course for participants. The content of this year's Foundation Course will consist of the following:
- Concepts of climate change, risk, vulnerability and adaptation
- Analysing climate data for change and variability - trends and extreme events
- Using climate change scenarios - uncertainty, probability, climate envelopes
- Assessing vulnerability and impacts
- Mapping socio-institutional networks, information flows and needs
- National, sectoral, urban and local strategies and measures
- Disaster risk reduction
- Economics of adaptation and adaptation finance
- Communicating climate risks
- Screening adaptation options to develop sound projects
- Monitoring, evaluation and learning in adaptation pathways
- Project development and practical skills development
Please note: There are only a limited number of spots available, so apply now!
EARLY REGISTATION AND PAYMENT DISCOUNT ENDS: 1 May 2012
FINAL DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 1 June 2012
Please feel free to share this course invitation with your partners and stakeholders.
We look forward to seeing you in Oxford!
Prof Mo Hamza, Academy Director
Dr Thomas E Downing, GCAP CEO
Mica Longanecker, Academy Coordinator