Implementing Agency:Ministry of Foreign Investment and Economic Collaboration (MINVEC)
Implementing Agency and Partnering Organizations:Ministry of Foreign Investment and Economic Collaboration (MINVEC), National Union for the Manufacturing of Durables (INPUD) within the Ministry of Steel and Mechanics Industry and Electronics (SIME), Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (CITMA)
This project was one of the first to combine action on climate change and ozone depletion. It was designed to assist Cuban manufacturers to produce a range of highly efficient, low power consumption home refrigerators using substances which do not deplete the ozone layer.
- Establishment of accredited testing laboratory for design and trial of new refrigerator models.
- Manufacturing of new energy-efficient models.
- Training of technicians for on-going sustainable maintenance and support of the new models.
- Establishment of a nationally accredited testing laboratory for refrigerators and freezers (on-going benefit of marketing services to other Cuban and regional manufacturers.
- Development of 3 new enerfy-efficient refrigerator models.
- Establishment of a manufacturing line capable of producing 30,000 units per year.
- New models result in an energy savings of 1.96kWh/day per refrigerator.
- Resulting savings of 11.3 tons of CO2 per refrigerator over an average 15 year life span.
- Reduce domestic refrigeration's share of national electricity use by 1/3.
- Total estimated savings to Cuban economy from the implementation of the project through 2010 is estimated at US$6,800,000 per annum.
- Projected production of 340,000 energy efficient refrigerators by 2015.
- Training of 60 technicians.
- Increase in national capacity for practical management of semi-industrial projects.