Implementing Agency and Partnering Organizations:UNDP
Tajikistan is one of 11 countries/regions selected for funding through the Pilot Program for Climate Resilience (PPCR). In Tajikistan the World Bank Group (WB), Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) are implementing Multilateral Development Banks for channeling PPCR funds, with WB serving as overall MDB coordinator.
Assessment of capacity needs in Tajikistan to improve climate resiliency and address threats related to climate variability and climate change.
- Awareness raising and training on climate change impacts, vulnerability, and adaptation at the national, regional, and local level.
1) An assessment of Tajikistan’s institutional, technical and human capacity to mainstream climate change considerations in key policy areas, with particular focus on the requirements for taking the Strategic Programme on Climate Resiliency forward; and
2) An initial awareness raising campaign aimed at building capacity on climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation.This campaign will include a survey of climate change awareness and knowledge, a training of trainers session, and community-based participatory scenario development (PSD) workshops in each of Tajikistan's 4 regions.
Project Status:Phase I of the project is underway; Phase II will begin in January 2012 (implemented by ADB)
Primary Beneficiaries:policy-makers, community residents
Integrating Climate Change in Development Planning and Disaster Prevention to Increase Resilience of Agricultural and Water Sectors
Implementing Agency:IBRD - The World Bank
Objective The project objective is to assist the Government of Morocco in mainstreaming climate change in the national development planning process. The specific objectives are to a) improve the understanding of climate change implications for high level strategic development planning; and b) enhance resilience to climate change of key development sectors - agriculture and water - through strengthened institutional capacity, knowledge management, and piloting innovative climate change adaptation and disaster management options to reduce rural poor's vulnerability.
1. Integration of CC in development planning.
2. Integration of climate change in the implementation of the Plan Vert (Agriculture Strategy of Morocco)
3. Support the planning of climate change proofed water management in selected river basins
4. Project Management and Monitoring & Evaluation
1. Policy priorities to integrate CC into relevant Government policies agreed by key Government agencies (i.e. MAEG, Ministry of Agriculture, Ministry of Water and Env, and Ministry of Finance)
2. Enhanced resilience to CC of agriculure in 3-5 regions
3. Better planning of overall water management in selected basins by incorporating climate variability and change in practices of river basin agencies.
4. M&E system operational
Kanta Kumari Rigaud
Tel: 202 473 4269
Project Status:Council Approved