Where are they now?
Implementing Agency and Partnering Organizations:UNDP, World Health Organization, Ministry of Health
Kenya Project Objective
To strengthen national focus and adaptive capacity to prevent epidemic highland malaria in Kenya.
Health Concerns and Vulnerability to Climate Change
Malaria has always existed in Kenya, however in the past, the higher altitudes of the highlands region limited highland malaria transmission to seasonal outbreaks, with considerable year-to-year variation.
- Climate change and health early warning and planning systems
- Institutional and technical capacity to manage climate change health risks
- Demonstration Measures to reduce vulnerability
- Regional Cooperation to address climate change health risks
Outcome 1: Climate-sensitive health risks are identified with sufficient lead-time for effective response
- Climate-sensitive health risk data are reported in timely and reliable manner to disease control agencies.
- Climate data are reported in timely and reliable manner to disease control agencies.
- Climate change-induced changes and drivers of health-risks are determined.
Outcome 2: Capacity of health sector institutions to respond to climate-sensitive health risks will be improved
- Clarified and harmonized institutional mandates and procedures to respond to climate risks to public health.
- Training syllabus and long-term support mechanisms for community and national level health protection from climate change developed.
Outcome 3: Disease prevention measures piloted in areas of heightened health risk due to climate change
- Advance planning of responses for pilot regions.
- Preventative interventions applied on the basis of plan, in response to warning system information.
Project Status:Under Implementation
Primary Beneficiaries:Local communities
In partnership with United Nations Volunteers, the AAP is funding the project “Promoting Expedited Implementation and Sustained Results” to help countries address emerging challenges. The overall objective of the project is to develop the capacities of participating countries to expedite implementation of the AAP and facilitate the sustained results of AAP outcomes and outputs.